The Lotus Scholarship (the Scholarship) is awarded to students who achieve high academic standards and demonstrate a financial need in order to attend University of the West (UWest). The Scholarship was established in 2012 and has so far been awarded to more than 100 students. UWest is home of the Lotus Scholarship – are you the next Lotus Scholarship award recipient?
For the 2015-2016 academic year, UWest has set aside funds to continue providing the Lotus Scholarships for new students entering the University, as well as for students seeking to renew their scholarships. New applicants must meet the scholarship eligibility requirements and matriculate into UWest in the 2015-2016 academic year (see last page for students beginning Spring 2015). Returning applicants must meet the Lotus Scholarship criteria in order to qualify for a renewal.
- Lotus Gold Scholarship – up to $10,000
- Lotus Silver Scholarship – up to $5,000
UWest anticipates awarding a large number of Lotus Scholarships for the 2015-2016 academic year. The Scholarship awards up to $5,000 or up to $10,000 annually to each successful applicant to apply toward his or her tuition, mandatory fees, room and board, and other expenses required for attendance at UWest.
Term of Scholarship:
The Scholarship is initially awarded for one academic year beginning in Fall Semester. Renewal of the Scholarship is possible, but not guaranteed, depending on the student’s performance and funding availability.
- The maximum renewable term is three years for four-year undergraduate students, and one to two years for undergraduate transfer students and students entering UWest’s Master’s degree programs.
Disbursement of the Scholarship award will be made in two installments, the first in Fall Semester and the second in Spring Semester. The funds will be applied directly to the student’s account. The Bursar’s Office will issue a stipend check if a student has a credit balance in his or her student account after the add/drop date of each semester.
- The Scholarship is available to new students seeking either Bachelor’s degrees or Master’s degrees at UWest. PhD students, ESL students or students seeking certificates only are not eligible for this Scholarship.
Previous recipients of the Scholarship, who meet the maintaining requirements (see below) are also eligible to reapply.
- Minimum GPA:
Lotus Gold Scholarship (up to $10,000):
Lotus Silver Scholarship(up to $5,000):
- Financial Need:
A student’s financial need may be taken into consideration during the applicant review process.
- Domestic students: Domestic applicants will be required to submit a FAFSA application or provide a copy of their, or their parent(s)’/guardian(s)’, most recent available tax return as part of the Lotus Scholarship application. An applicant may opt to make a statement of financial hardship in a separate letter as part of the Lotus Scholarship application.
Other documents the University may request are copies of relevant tax returns or other taxation records, letters establishing a student’s status for receiving public benefits, or other similar documentation. All financial documentation will be held in strict confidence.
- International students: International applicants must submit a UWest International Student Supplemental Application for Financial Aid. Students may be asked to provide financial documentation in addition to their, or their sponsor’s, finances as reported to SEVIS during the visa application process.
- International students must meet the minimum UWest admission requirements for English proficiency.
- To qualify for the Scholarship a student must be enrolled fulltime at UWest. Fulltime enrollment for undergraduate students is defined as registering for, and successfully completing, a minimum of 12 credits each semester (24 credits per academic year). Fulltime enrollment for graduate students is defined as registering for, and successfully completing, a minimum of 9 credits each semester (18 credits per academic year). Students must be pre-registered at the full-time credit level before the Scholarship funds can be made available to them. Exceptions to this full-time enrollment rule may be made through an appeal process for students who are in their final semester. Non-full-time students will receive a prorated amount of the Scholarship based on the actual number of credits for which they are registered.
To maintain the Scholarship while at UWest, students must fulfill the following requirements:
- Minimum maintaining GPA:
Lotus Gold Scholarship (up to $10,000):
Lotus Silver Scholarship(up to $5,000):
- Maintain fulltime enrollment at UWest.
- Uphold academic integrity standards (e.g. refrain from plagiarizing, cheating, etc.).
- Actively engage in student life (e.g. UWest Student Government, student clubs, events, volunteer opportunities, committees, etc.) and/or community service.
- Uphold student social conduct standards (e.g. refrain from drinking, physical abuse, threats of violence, disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace, harassment, sexual harassment, etc.).
During the first two weeks of the Spring Semester, recipients of the Scholarship will be reviewed for eligibility based on the above-mentioned requirements. Recipients may be disqualified from the Scholarship if one or more of these requirements are not met. Recipients of the Lotus Scholarship are entitled to appeal disqualification should they encounter extenuating circumstances. The appeal needs to be submitted to the Financial Aid Committee no later than the beginning of the Spring semester. No more than two appeals will be granted per student. Contact Lezli Fang in the Financial Aid Office for detailed information.
Other Important Terms and Conditions:
- The Scholarship is non-transferable to other students or institutions.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred. If recipients decide to postpone their matriculation into a program until the Spring Semester, they will only receive half of the awarded Scholarship (e.g. a recipient of a $5,000 Scholarship will only receive $2,500 for the Spring Semester). If recipients postpone their entrance into a program by more than one semester, they will forfeit their Scholarship. New students who only enroll in the Fall Semester but not in the following Spring Semester will lose the second half of their Scholarship. (Note: Exception to this policy due to visa or medical reasons will be made on a case by case basis. Students applying for this exception must present relevant documentation.)
- This Scholarship cannot be awarded in conjunction with President’s Fellowship, Dean’s Fellowship, Campus Life Fellowship, Buddha’s Light Fellowship, IBEF Scholarship, IBEF Fellowship or UWest Scholarship. Students must return the Scholarship funds if other scholarship money is received.
- Recipients may become disqualified after the Scholarship is disbursed if their enrollment status changes during the term of the award, in which case students must return the Scholarship funds received. (Note: Exception to this policy due to visa or medical reasons will be made on a case by case basis. Students applying for this exception must present relevant documentation.)
- Should the Scholarship be declined or returned, it will be considered forfeited and UWest may keep the award or award it to another student.
- Recipients of the award agree to release to UWest the right to use their images for publication in any format chosen by the university (i.e. print, video, digital image).
- Priority Deadline (for new applicants): Post-marked on or before February 15, 2015. Every effort will be made to notify students of their scholarship application result by May 1, 2015.
- Secondary Deadline (for both new and returning applicants): Post-marked on or before April 1, 2015. New students will be notified of the scholarship result by June 1, 2015. Returning students will be notified of the scholarship result by June 30, 2015.
- It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that all application materials and supporting documents are submitted on time.
Application and Required Documents:
The Lotus Scholarship Application must include the following documents:
- Completed and signed UWest Financial Aid Application Form;
- [url=http://www.uwest.edu/site/file/docs/financial_aid/Form 2015-16_Intl Student Supplemental Application.pdf]Completed and signed UWest International Student Supplemental Application for Financial Aid[/url] (International applicants only);
- A copy of Official Transcript (in English) of the highest education attained;
- A copy of official TOEFL or IELTS score report (first-time international applicants only);
- Domestic students must submit a completed 2015-16 FAFSA or a copy of their most recent available tax return.
Note: For new applicants, the Lotus Scholarship Application must be submitted together with the Application for Admission to the University. All documents must be submitted by the deadlines indicated above. Lotus Scholarship Applications that do not include the Application for Admission will not be considered.
Spring 2015 New Student Eligibility
Students matriculating into UWest in the Spring Semester 2015 are eligible to apply for the Lotus Scholarship for the 2015-2016 award year that begins in Fall 2015. Spring 2015 applicants must meet the same Lotus Scholarship eligibility requirements and are subject to all the terms and conditions of the Scholarship. An applicant’s academic performance during the Spring 2015 semester will be taken into consideration in addition to previous academic work.
University of the West reserves the right to change part or all of the above terms and conditions at any time.
WEBSITE : http://www.uwest.edu/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=379&Itemid=419