Tempus Public Foundation offers scholarships for foreign higher education graduates, lecturers and researchers who would like to gain further know ledge in Hungarian higher education institutions, research or art institutes.
Applications by citizens of relations that have a valid educational work plan or a bilateral agreement signed by the Hungarian Government or the Ministry of Human Capacities and the relevant ministry of the given country or territory are entitled for the scholarship. Information regarding the application procedure, internal deadlines and the pre-assessment and shortlisting of applications is in the scope of duties of Tempus Public Foundation and the responsible department of the national/territorial ministry of education. Applications nominated by these offices take priority. Applications submitted directly to Tempus Public Foundation shall also be considered.
Thus, applications may be submitted in the followin g two ways:
- As a nominee of the sending country’s national scholarship organisation, based on the bilateral agreement of the two countries (independently from the applicant’s nationality): Argentina, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Republic of China, Croatia, Czech Republic, France, India, Latvia, Lebanon, Mexico, Mongolia, Morocco, Poland, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Ukraine, Vietnam
- Independently from the sending country’s national scholarship organisation, the citizens of the following countries may apply: Albania, Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korean Republic, Kuwait, Lebanon, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, Mongolia, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, , Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, UK, USA, Vietnam.
Scholarship types and eligibility
For short-term research (3-29 days) applicants holding at least a master’s degree may apply. For long-term research (1-10 months) applicants holding at least a master ’s degree may apply. (Doctoral students may not apply; they may apply for Partial studies.)
CASES OF NON-ELIGIBILITY
- Foreign citizens with an immigration/ settlement permit or in the course of applying for such a permit in Hungary, or dual citizens
- Foreign citizens with permanent residence in Hungary
- Foreign citizens employed on a permanent basis as defined by the Hungarian Labour Law
- Students in employment applying for part-time or correspondence study programmes
AGE LIMIT FOR APPLICANTS
For all types of state scholarships applicants must be over 18 at the time of submitting the application. There is no age limit.
FURTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Scholarships offered by Tempus Public Foundation allow for studies in any field of arts or sciences at an accredited Hungarian higher education institution, or for research at a relevant Hungarian organisation based on an acceptance letter.
For the same period only one scholarship by Tempus Public Foundation may be used.
During one application cycle and within the bilateral state scholarship programmes, beside research stay, applicants may apply additionally for partial/semester studies or summer courses, in case they do not overlap in time. Only two scholarships can be granted.
In case of receiving other simultaneous scholarships covered by the Hungarian state, applicants are not eligible for the state scholarship.
Scholarship-holders must stay in Hungary during the entire period of their studies or research, excluding school and public holidays.
Scholarships have to be implemented during the academic year 2018/2019. The scholarship period can be started at the earliest on 1 September 2018 and must be finished by 31 July 2019 at the latest.
The granted scholarship can only be used within the utilization period indicated in the call, so it cannot be postponed to the following academic year.
To modify the starting date within the utilization period can be arranged after receiving the consent of the host institution under the condition that the scholarship holder informs Tempus Public Foundation through its bilateral state scholarships officer.
In case the applicant cannot or do not want to use the scholarship within the period approved by the decision of Tempus Public Foundation, a new app ication for the following academic year has to be submitted. The applicant is requested to inform his/her Tempus Public Foundation through its bilateral state scholarships officer by email, as well as the host and sending home institution, without delay. In case of nomination, the national office responsible for scholarship grants needs to be informed as well.
The scholarship holder is entitled to interrupt/finish the scholarship due to a vis maior situation occurring during his/her scholarship period. In this case, the scholarship holder has to inform his/her Tempus Public Foundation bilateral state scholarships officer by email, as well as the host institution, without delay. After being informed about the vis maior situation, TPF will fix the extent of the time-proportional reimbursement of the grant and will in form the scholarship holder accordingly.
Submitting the application
Applicants should submit their applications only in the online system of Tempus Public Foundation. Please note that we can only accept complete applications submitted before the deadline through the online system. Applications submitted via post or e-mail will not be accepted.
Before starting the online procedure please read our Online Application Guide on our website carefully.
Please note that applications with formal errors and incomplete applications cannot be accepted, they will be automatically rejected.
Please keep your USER ID and PASSWORD used for registration as you will need them later on.
Note: Applicants applying under the work plan system should submit their applications and required documents to the organization responsible for scholarships in the sending relation, too. These scholarship offices or responsible ministries work with individual deadlines. Applicants are advised to contact the responsible organisation of their sending relation as soon as possible so that the given relation can officially review, rank and nominate the applications to TPF.
The Hungarian party evaluates applications nominated and ranked by partner offices, as well as individually submitted applications and it examines the applicants’ eligibility.
It is followed by a formal assessment by Tempus Public Foundation. Formally correct applications will be evaluated by external independent experts along the professional requirements listed in the Call for applications.
Preference is given to applicants nominated by their sending relation in the selection procedure.
Any kind of undue influence on the professional evaluation or the application procedure cause immediate exclusion from the selection procedure.
Scholarships are granted by the Board of Trustees of Tempus Public Foundation in the name of the minister responsible for education in Hungary.
All applicants (and in case of nomination the national/territorial partner offices, too) will be informed of the final result of the application (awarded scholarship/waiting list/rejection) electronically (in special circumstances, by post, too) by Tempus Public Foundation. At the same time successful applicants will be provided with information concerning the terms and conditions needed to organise their stay in Hungary in May/June 2018. Tempus Public Foundation informs the host institute, as well.
There is no appeal to the decision.
DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED
Applicants should submit their applications in the online application system of Tempus Public Foundation. It can be reached and filled in in Hungarian and in English.
The language of the documents (eg, highest degree, language exam, certificate of student status) to be uploaded in the online system can be Hungarian, English, French or German. If they are not written in either of these four languages, their official Hungarian or English translations must also be attached. Documents with the stamp and signature of the issuing institution on letterhead can be considered as official, there is no need to have it translated by a translator office.
- Application form of Tempus Public Foundation (downloadable from the online system). After signing and dating the document, it shall be uploaded scanned.
- No more than a 3-month-old medical certificate issued by a GP of satisfactory health condition for studies (no contagious disease) (original copy and its certified Hungarian or English translation). No template available.
- Copy of the picture page of ID card or passport.
- Precise and detailed work plan – minimum 1- maximum 5-pages long (according to the work plan template)
- Complete professional CV in Hungarian or English – attached as a file
- Copy of highest degree/diploma (original copy and its certified Hungarian or English translation)
- Proof of proficiency in the language that is required for the research programme (at least a B2-level language exam certificate, or a certificate (in Hungarian or English) issued by the sending workplace/institution, Lectorate, or an official certificate by the Hungarian host institution on the basis of previous cooperation). In case the working language is not Hungarian, the host institution should declare it in writing (in the Invitation Letter).
- Publication list
- Letter of Invitation issued by the representative of a Hungarian higher education institution, research or art institute. Document must be with original signature, date, and stamp and/or on institutional letterhead.
- Two Letters of Recommendation from two recognized experts in the relevant discipline with original signature, date, stamp and/or on institutional letterhead. The signers of the Letters of Recommendations cannot be the same as of the Letter of Invitation
Applicants for art scholarships must attach the folowing supplementary documents uploaded in the field ‘Other documents’:
- Fine and applied arts: documentation of 5 works of art (indicating the date of creating) or the link of the webpage where the works are available.
- Performing arts: records of performing 3 pieces of different styles or link to the webpage where the records/performances are available.
Fine, applied and performing artists may be required by the host university to submit a more detailed portfolio before being granted a scholarship.
Applicants to Liszt Academy of Music (LFZE), before preparing and submitting their application, should contact the International Department of the Academy for detailed information on specific opportunities and also ask for a Letter of Acceptance.
Scholarships are paid by Tempus Public Foundation to the scholarship holders
- Stipend: 80 000 HUF/month
- Accommodation allowance: 70 000 HUF/month
- Stipend: 120 000 HUF/month
- Accommodation allowance: 80 000 HUF/month
In case of short term research stays allowances will be counted for half a month or for a month in accordance with the length of the stay.
FURTHER INFORMATION ON FINANCIAL PROVISIONS
State scholarships cannot be awarded at the same time with any scholarships granted in parallel by the Hungarian state.
In case scholarship holders are granted another scholarship or get any other financial support (wage) for the same scholarship period, they must withdraw their state scholarship.
The scholarship is meant to contribute to the living expenses of only one person, it does not necessarily cover all expenses during the scholarship period. There is no financial support for visa fees and any allowance for accompanying persons. Payment of the stipend will not be effectuated immediately upon arrival to Hungary. Therefore scholarship holders are advised to have a sufficient amount of money to cover their living costs for at least one month in Hungary. In case of one-month or shorter stays, it is possible that their stipend may be transferred only a few days before – or after - leaving Hungary. Apart from the above-mentioned costs, Tempus Public Foundation cannot ensure any other allowance or support.
Travel expenses to Hungary, within Hungary and back to the country of origin are not covered by Tempus Public Foundation.
Entitlement to Healthcare Services
According to the rules of the European Parliament and Council Regulations 883/2004 (EC) and 987/2009 (EC), scholarship-holders who are citizens of either the European Union, EEA member countries or Switzerland are entitled to healthcare services in medical necessity during their stay in Hungary.
Healthcare services in medical necessity during their stay in Hungary are available for scholarship-holders with the European Health Insurance Card (E111). Medical necessity is determined by the physician who considers the given circumstances. Scholarship-holders should obtain the European Health Insurance Card in their home country prior to the arrival to Hungary.
Further important information: healthcare services can only be provided – according to the equal treatment principle of the European Union - by those healthcare providers that have contractual relations with the National Health Insurance Fund (NEAK). The scholarship holder has to cover the costs of those services that are provided by a private healthcare provider that has no contractual relation with NEAK.
Citizens of all other countries - who wish to stay in Hungary for more than 1 month - are covered for medical treatment in case of sudden illness by the Hungarian party. This insurance does not cover dentistry services, with the exception of urg ent treatments. Health insurance covered by the Hungarian party is only available for scholarship holders under the age of 65.
Scholarship-holders staying in Hungary for less than 1 month are required to make their own arrangements for insurance coverage.
Scholarship-holders are required to submit an online professional report and upload a scholarship period certificate issued by the host institution after completion of their scholarship period. If the scholarship duration certificate does not cover the awarded scholarship period, the scholarship holder is required to pay back the relevant part of the scholarship. (The amount of the reimbursement equals the rounded amount mentioned under the „Scholarship Rates" above: 0, half month or full month) The report must be submitted within 30 days after finishing their scholarship.
Failure to submit the mobility report
In case scholarship-holders fail to submit the report, they will be excluded from further scholarship opportunities and will be required to pay back the scholarship, and their scholarship period will be immediately closed.
Online application guide (in English) (magyarul)
Deadline for applications:
partial/semester studies: 28 February 2018, 11 pm.
full degree studies and research: 30 January 2018, 11 pm.
Applications are made online.
In order to apply, you need to register on the website for applications at www.scholarship.hu.
Before starting your application, please, read carefully the Online application guide (in English) (magyarul).
Should you need more information, you may contact your bilateral state scholarship officer according to your country of origin.